Ismene A. Dontas
Name Ιsmene A. Dontas
Date of birth April 15, 1954
Place of birth Ann Arbor, Michigan, ΗΠΑ
Languages English (Proficiency), French (Certificat)
Studies – Αcademic career
1966-1972 American College of Greece (18 11/13)
1972-1977 School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, DVM degree
1978 Post-graduate work:
1978 April – June, Bio-Research Institute, Cambridge, Mass, USA
1978 July – December, Mass. General Hospital, Boston, Mass, USA.
1979 Laboratory of Experimental Surgery and Surgical Research “N.S. Christeas”, School of Medicine, University of Athens
1981 PhD degree, School of Medicine, University of Athens
1990 Assistant Professor
1999 Associate Professor
2011 Professor of Veterinary Medicine – Experimental Surgical Research
- Laboratory of Experimental Surgery and Surgical Research School of Medicine, University of Athens (1979-present)
- Laboratory for Research of the Musculoskeletal System, School of Medicine, University of Athens (1996-present)
Research activities 1979-today
Has contributed to the design and execution of more than 100 doctoral theses.
Publications in peer-reviewed journals: 83 indexed in PubMed (as I.Dontas) και 32 (as I.Donta), 13 in databases other than PubMed, current total 128.
Publications in Greek journals: 53
Oral presentations at Conferences
At International Conferences: 116
At Greek Conferences: 159
Papers that have received awards at Greek and International Conferences: 30
Member of Scientific Societies
1. Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society.
Regular member (1981-present).
2. Hellenic Society for the Protection of Animals.
Member of the Board (1981-1986).
3. Hellenic Animal Welfare Society.
Honorary Secretary of the Board (1993-1995).
4. Hellenic Society of Biomedical and Laboratory Animal Science (HSBLAS).
Founding member and member of the Board (1995-present).
President ς (2005-2009).
5. Hellenic Society for the Study of Bone Metabolism (http://www.eemmo.gr/).
6. Hellenic Osteoporosis Foundation (http://www.heliost.gr/en/).
Founding member and member (1996-present).
7. Hellenic Society for the Support of Patients with Osteoporosis http://www.osteocare.gr/ .
Founding member and member (1997-present).
Member of the Board (1997-2001).
1. Laboratory Animals Science Association (LASA http://www.lasa.co.uk/)
Regular member (1983-present).
2. International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions (ΙSMNI, www.ismni.org).
Founding member (1998).
Honorary Secretary (2004-2006, re-elected 2006-2008).
Member of the Board (2008-present).
3. Federation of European Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA, http://www.felasa.eu).
Representative of HSBLAS in Governing Board (2002-present).
4. European Union thematic network: Prevention of Falls Network Europe – ProFaNE (www.profane.eu.org).
Representative of Greece (2004-2008).
5. European Society of Laboratory Animal Veterinarians (ESLAV).
6. COST Action B24 “Laboratory Animal Science and Welfare” (http://biomedicum.ut.ee/costb24).
Representative of Greece on the Management Committee, Member of Working Group 2 for the “Refinement of Procedures” (2004-2009).
7. Scandinavian Laboratory Animal Society (Scand-LAS).
- Representative of Greece as Member of the “Expert Working Group of the European Commission on severity classification of scientific procedures performed on animals”, conducted in support of the revision of Directive 86/609/EEC on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes (2009). http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/lab_animals/pdf/report_ewg.pdf
- Representative of the European Society of Laboratory Animal Veterinarians (ESLAV) and the European College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ECLAM) as Member of the “Expert Working Group of the European Commission on Education and Training within the context of Directive 2010/63/ΕU” (2012).
Member of Editorial Boards
- “ΟΣΤΟΥΝ”: Official journal of the Hellenic Society for the Study of Bone Metabolism – (ΕΕΜΜΟ) (1995-2000).
- “Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions”: Official journal of the International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions (ΙSMNI www.ismni.org), Associate Editor (2000-2009).
- “Σκελετική Υγεία”: Official journal of the Hellenic Osteoporosis Foundation (ΕΛΙΟΣ), (2001-present).
- “The Open Geriatric Medical Journal” http://www.benthamscience.com/open/togerimj/ (2008-present).
- “Journal of the Hellenic Veterinary Medical Society” http://www.hvms.gr/el.html (2009-present).
Reviewer of Journals
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact, Osteoporos Int, Clin Rheumatol, J Hellenic Vet Med Soc, Med Sci Monitor, TOGeriM J, Eur J Pharmacol, Pharmacol Rep, Comp Med, Int J Molec Sci, J Medicinal Food.
Director, Professor of Experimental Surgical Research